Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Windy Day in the Southern Owens Valley

I awoke very early once again and enjoyed watching the full moon set behind a wave cloud over the Sierra. A bit later I journeyed out into the balmy morning with barely enough light to see.

The jumbled rock formations are eternally pleasing
Movie Flat with Mt. Williamson shrouded in clouds behind.
Lone Pine Peak over Movie Flat and my sheltered camp spot.
The Scamp is tucked into a nook.
I headed into Keeler to find this scene. A tremendous dust storm!
I got out of Keeler pronto and drove to the west side of the valley to view the dust.

The Owens Valley north of the Lake was filling with dust.
Here are some wild views down to the northwest corner of Owens Lake from the Cottonwood Road.


One of my sites registered gusts exceeding 85mph and the dust readings were incredibly high (several hourly PM10 concentrations of over 10,000 ug/m3). This has been one of the most impressive storms I've seen since I began working at Owens Lake.

2 comments:

Kim Stringfellow said...

Hi Scott,

While searching for images of Owens Lake dust storms I found your images. I am putting together a slide show concerning water politics in the valley and I was wondering if perhaps I could use these with a photo credit. I don't see an email address for you though. You can email me at: mail at kimstringfellow dot com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kim

Kim Stringfellow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.