Friday, March 31, 2017

Huarte Creek

It's been a few years since I've been up the Huarte Creek drainage in Pine Creek Canyon. It was in fact the last big snow year, 2011 (click here for blog post). With lots of snow again this year I figured I would give it a go.

Probably should have done a little reconnaissance as Ben and I had to hike about 1500' just to get to snow.

 This is the couloir Anne and I skied back in 2011.

We took a left turn into a sub drainage that opens into a huge bowl.

Looking back towards Bishop from low in the bowl.

More big terrain!

We reached a saddle about 1000' below the Wheeler Crest.

With views of the impressive terrain around Broken Finger Peak (right).

Ben soaks it in with Mt Tom to the right.

On the way up I started to feel a little peakish which grew into a sensation of nausea and strong fatigue once we reached the saddle. Time to head down!

The skiing was fair up high improving generally as we descended. We headed down around noon which was probably an hour or two late for ideal skiing here.

Despite my worsening condition I enjoyed the skiing.


But when we reached the end of the snow and began the long sage brush whack out I was pretty near my limit. Death march!

Turns out I had gastroenteritis compounded with dehydration requiring an ER visit later that evening. I felt like I'd been run over by a truck! Two liters of IV solution and some anti nausea meds got me back on my feet, but it took another 24 hours to feel human again. Ugh.

No comments: