Tuesday, December 12, 2017

San Joaquin Knob

I was pretty impressed with the snow coverage up on San Joaquin Ridge during my last tour so I got out the maps and looked for something interesting out there to explore. Noticed a knob just off the ridge with a little northeast facing bowl and figured I should go check it out. Explore!

I parked about half way between Main Lodge and Chair 2 and headed straight north. After passing the sewage ponds (frozen but still stinky) and some funky micro terrain I emerged into open flats.

Glad I had my phone with the Earthmate app or I might have wandered off course in the forest. As it was I took a fairly direct line to the top of the knob. Looking back to the ski hill.

and north out to not so White Wing (right).


Ever pleasant views of the Minarets.

The bowl was holding real nice sugar snow over a solid base.




Took a couple of short, fun runs in there before heading back.


Cool zone with a remote feel. Good skiing too!

No comments: