Wednesday, September 5, 2018

By Day Creek

For my birthday we packed up the Scamp and headed up to Buckeye Campground. When I arrived on Thursday no one else was camping in our favorite loop, but by the weekend it was almost full. I mapped out a few adventures right from the campground I thought were off the beaten path.

The first was a ride up By Day Creek a few miles north of the campground. The road starts off steep and was recently eroded by heavy rains.

After reaching the Ecological Preserve and the locked gate the riding improved.

Remote, secluded and beautiful - just how I like it.

The fat bike was nice for the steep, loose, and soft initial sections but not required.

The two track road gradually faded and at this point began a long steep haul up toward Rickey Peak, I elected to save my energy and go exploring.

I wound my way over a shallow pass to Log Cabin Creek and these fine meadows.


I parked the bike and hiked up to a nice view point.

Then stumbled upon this neat stock pond. Never did find the log cabin. Gives me an excuse to go up there again!

Finally I enjoyed the nice views of Bridgeport Valley and the Bodie Hills on the way back home.

Beautiful ride!

No comments: