Sunday, November 18, 2018

Death Valley Bikepacking: Ibex Dunes to Confidence Wash

I had no set plan for my second day out, but with a limited water supply I thought it prudent to head back instead of spending a full day exploring up the Ibex Wash.

This was my campsite near the dunes. Sparse!

I love the feeling of rolling out in the morning, packed up and looking forward to a day of exploration!

I enjoyed soft light late into the morning thanks to wispy high clouds.

Looking back to the dunes and the Saddle Peak Hills.

The Harry Wade Road was well graded in this silty trough north to the junction of the Owl Hole Springs Road. I noticed a fair bit of traffic out there too. Seemed curious.

I talked to a nice Jeeper fellow who told me that this is the back entrance to Fort Irwin and the military hauls old vehicles to the range for aerial bombardment practice. Sure enough I saw this flatbed heading out.

North of the Owl Hole Springs Road I pulled off, parked the bike, and walked down a wide wash to the Amargosa River.


Plenty of water here provides for nice meadows and thickets.

Mid day proved to be a bit warm, almost hot even, so I found respite under this Creosote Bush.

That's when I notice my pedal was damaged.

I figured it was best to make some miles during the late afternoon. If the pedal failed and I had to resort to walking at least I'd be doing it in the cool of the next morning.

Good riding.

No shortage of starkness here!

The evening light is magic out in the desert.

From my camp near the Confidence Wash I walked down to the Confidence Mill site. There's not much left, but apparently it was one of the earliest mills in Death Valley, established in the late 1800's. A lack of water and high transportation costs doomed the operation.

My pedal held up and so did my spirits as I tucked in for another night sleeping beneath the stars.

No comments: