Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Road Trip to Zion Day 3

I brought my gravel bike out to Utah instead of the mountain bike so I'd have the option of doing a little road cycling with Mary if she was so inclined. 

I really did not want to drive very far to ride, so the only nearby dirt road option is the Smithsonian Butte Back Country Byway out of Rockville.

The road starts out with a rude climb straight up out of the Virgin River Valley but mellows as it nears Smithsonian Butte.

The gradual descent to Highway 59 held a lot of washboard but not too miserable if you put it in a big gear and "give er". The wide plains out there are nice.

I had planned on crossing 59 and riding up onto Little Creek Mountain but once I got to 59 that option just didn't seem too inviting, so I headed back up the Smithsonian Butte Road to explore.

I found pleasant riding on the road out Grafton Mesa.

 Wonderful views from the edge of Grafton Mesa.

Next I cruised out on Wire Mesa to the end of the dirt road.

From there I hopped on the Wire Mesa mountain bike trail which was good fun although a bit much for the gravel bike in spots.

 More fine views up toward Zion Canyon.

The little draws and hollows off the mesa were splendid too.

Turned out to be a great ride!

No comments: