Saturday, January 12, 2019

June Lake Backountry 2

Mary wanted to ski lifts at June today so I figured I would drive up with her and do my own thing in the nearby backcountry. 

Elected to ski a couple of areas I had not been to before. First I headed up this drainage in the northern part of the Negatives. Nice skiing here.

Looking back to the ski area.

Moody day with mid level clouds hovering about.

Next I skinned up into the trees just north of my previous run.

Fine old trees.

Looking at my first run. Up high under the rocks the snow was decent, but the chutes to the top and the first couple hundred feet down in the bowl held breakable wind crust. The lower half of the run was nice though.

 Down to June Lake.

Second run was good too. Especially in here.

Temps were staying cold, so the snow quality was hanging in there in areas not subject to wind or sun. Great to explore!

No comments: