Thursday, February 6, 2020

Hilton Lakes

I wanted to see how the snowpack was holding up in the Rock Creek area, so I drove up to the normal winter closure, parked, and headed up the steep moraine to the west. The snow was thin but consolidated on southeast slopes, deeper but faceted and slow going on northeast slopes.

 Love the Junipers in this area.

I stuck with the sunny/consolidated snow through the brush and Aspens here. Still way easier than slogging through bottomless facets in the shady trees.

Higher up I began to get some views. 

Once on top of the bench it was generally easy travel through the tranquil forest.

Patricia Peak. I would eventually wind around beneath the shady north face.

One of the goals for the day was to check on conditions in the Grand Central Couloir on Mt Morgan North. Looks like it might go. Thin at the bottom. A few rocks showing in the couloir. Could be good though.

I finally got into some alpine terrain. One of the Hilton Lakes just visible low center in the pic.

Twas basically just a walk in the woods, but still quite enjoyable. On the descent the facets in the trees were ok. Had to watch for rocks. I enjoyed a dozen or so good turns on corn above the road. 

This is a nice, seldom visited zone - even during spring in big years. Just wish there were a little more snow!

No comments: