Sunday, February 23, 2020

Ruby Mountains: Thomas Canyon II

I got up in Lamoille Canyon early hoping to beat the warm temps we experienced yesterday. Fortunately the clear night provided cold temps and a steady breeze kept strong warming at bay.

Quiet at the trailhead at 7:30. Nice light too.

Yesterday Elysia and I spied a pair of skiers heading up the first drainage on the west side of Taylor Canyon, so there was a skin track in. The topo map depicted a large mostly moderate drainage with large cliffs. Enticing - so up I went.

Looking back at the trailhead down at the bottom.

The peaks and faces were just beaming.


I made good time with the help of the previous skin track, eventually finding myself on a high ridge looking down into Thomas Canyon where Elysia and I skied yesterday.

Fascinating rock formations on the ridge.

The view up from the trailhead at the end of the tour. My route took me up and right toward the dark peak.

Windshield pic on the way out. It was great to be able to drive to the campground. 

From the ridge I had a few hundred feet of fair skiing on wind affected snow before entering nice glades which provided about 1500' of very good powder skiing. Below that was a mixed bag of softening sun crust (surprisingly decent skiing), not softened sun crust (quite poor skiing), with a little powder and wind board thrown in. Good tour.

No comments: