Thursday, July 2, 2020

Mazourka Canyon/Papoose Flat Bikepack Day 1

I've been dreaming and scheming up this tour for quite a long time. Starting and finishing at home, riding south to Kearsarge at the mouth of Mazourka Canyon, up Mazourka to Badger Flat, over to Papoose Flat and down to Big Pine.

I had thought my spring window of opportunity had closed with summer heat setting in, but an unusually cold, springlike weather front swept through the region and gave me one more chance!

I set out from my house under bright skies with cool temps and a steady north wind.
 

Strong winds the day before had done a little tree damage. It took a little effort to get my rig over this downed limb!

I enjoyed the fine tailwind and the stark desert scenery as I made my way down valley. 


Starting up Mazourka Canyon Road I savored the slight fragrance of Creosote Bush in the air as they are abundant here.

The lower stretches of Mazourka Canyon are pure desert bliss.

Desert Plume guards this mine entrance.


After a good spell of climbing I arrived at Barrel Springs where I camped.

Below the spring and above the mine/camp area.

This barrel was once an integral part of the water conveyance system that brought water from the spring to the mine area. Perhaps the barrel that gave Barrel Spring its name?

I had solid information that water was available here and after a bit of hiking I found it.

A spring in the desert is a fine sight indeed.


Camp at the mine.

A good start!



3 comments:

Bob Shattuck said...

Creosote. . . is that what I always smell ?

Bob Shattuck said...

https://jornada.nmsu.edu/blog/7-things-you-didnt-know-about-creosote-bush

Scott E said...

Yeah, it's that distinctive fragrance you smell particularly in Death Valley and other low elevation valleys around here. Bishop is the northerly extent of its range where it is sparse, but it's abundant down there at the mouth of Mazourka.

Thanks for the link. That's nature for you. Fascinating!