Friday, July 3, 2020

Mazourka Canyon/Papoose Flat Bikepack Day 2

Night was wonderful at Barrel Springs. Comfortably cool but not cold. I awoke briefly very early, after the moon had gone down, and enjoyed a long gaze at the Milky Way punctuated by a few bright meteorites.

Morning dawned brilliantly.

I hiked back up to the spring to top off my water supply and stumbled upon this odd, desert weathered face like feature on a mat of heavy fabric. 

The day's ride started with a long steady climb, quite warm and stark at the start, but cooler with Pinyon and Junipers higher.

The climb culminates at Badger Flat, where my legs and lungs enjoyed a respite.

From Badger Flat the road traverses incredibly pretty and quite rugged terrain.

I was pushing the bike up the many steep pitches.

 Looking back down to Badger Flat, Mazourka Peak (mid right) and the Sierra.

One of the few gentle stretches.

Another big view of the valley and the Sierra.

Finally, after one last steep plunge, I arrived at sublime Papoose Flat.

I beelined to this campsite where I tucked into the shade. The temps were certainly not hot here at around 8200' but the sun is intense mid day and the shelter was greatly appreciated.

The camp area. 

I've ridden through Papoose Flat several times before always wishing I could spend more time exploring and soaking in the scenery, so I was especially grateful to camp there.







I took several slow, pleasant strolls from camp feeling the day's efforts unwind from my body and mind. Pure magic.



1 comment:

Mose said...

I dig it! Thanks for sharing