Sunday, January 17, 2021

More Mammoth Lakes Basin Skiing

Despite a dearth of snow, I am still at it! Figure if I can have fun skiing now I will really have a blast when/if it actually snows.

 A few days ago I toured up to Heart Lake. I had never been there before summer or winter. 

Views on the way up.


Did three runs on this puny but fun slope above the lake.


Serene meadow on the way out.

Today was the first day this season I've toured with partners. McKenzie and Ann joined me for a tour along the western Mammoth Crest.

First we cruised up to Red Cone. Pretty bleak.

We found a little patch of corn and could not resist taking a run. Good fun.


Heading back to the top.

Entrance to Red Cone chute is gritty.


We picked our way westward along the crest enjoying fine views and great weather eventually descending a little bowl into a series of tight glades southwest of McCleod Lake. The facets skied reasonably well in there.

A quick stroll across the lake brought us back.

A couple of rewarding "hike with skis on" tours.
 

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

There's no snow, but wow . . . still gorgeous as ever. Thanks.