Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Skiing

On Christmas Eve Mary and I joined Steve, and his daughter, Emma for a day at June Mountain Ski Area.

The atmosphere at June is pleasantly relaxed, the views astounding, and powder can often be found days after the last storm.

Here's Mary in black and Emma in blue with Mono Lake obscured by the winter fog known as Pokonip.
Steve watches as Emma heads into the trees in search of powder patches.
Fun day!

On Christmas Day I rallied for an afternoon ski after a morning of opening gifts and sipping Mimosas with my family.

I headed over to Punta Bardini, made good time up the well established skin track, and enjoyed the views of Long Valley and the nearby Sherwins as a storm rolled in.


I managed to find some nice, untracked lines in the Old Growth, and topped the day off with a center punch down the eastern Tele Bowl.
The snow was great, if felt like a foot plus over a spongy, supportable base.


Steve, Mary, and I headed back to June on Sunday.

While Mary had a great day on the groomers, Steve and I headed O.B. to the treed slopes known as Hemlock.

We reached a small summit on the long ridge north of the Negatives and ate lunch while soaking in the fine views.

Here's Ritter and Banner poking up over the Sierra Crest south of Carson Peak.
Steve enjoyed a few Christmas cookies.
The skiing in Hemlock was nothing short of incredible.

Deep, light snow, steep slopes, big smiles!
The lower slopes above Four Seasons skied very nicely too.
Santa (and Ullr) was good to me this year!

No comments: