Saturday, May 4, 2019

McGee

Woke up feeling lazy but still motivated enough to get out, so I chose an easy route I've always wanted to check out, the canyon on the northwest side of McGee Mountain.

I drove up the Tobacco Flat Road (high clearance helpful) to a spur that headed up toward the mouth of the canyon. Looks like the road continues snow free to near 8000'.

Left the truck a bit after 8:00. A little smoke lingered in Long Valley from a control burn.

Easy travel, first booting with crampons then skinning, got me up to the ridge extending west from the summit of McGee. Looking over to Mt Morgan North and Esha Peak.

Mt Morrison (right)

The huge middle section of McGee Creek

Fun and fast low angle corn up high.

Just barely squeaked through here without taking the skis off.

Fun skiing here too. A little suncupped but perfectly cooked at around 11:15

Beautiful day. Quiet, warm, with good skiing through stunning rock formations. Glad I rallied!


No comments: