Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Bridgeport Bikepack Day 2: Mount Patterson

I got a good early start on day 2 knowing it would quickly get hot climbing steep east facing slopes.

Sunrise from camp.


The road above camp quickly became steep, loose and hence, unrideable for long sections. Thus began a series of strenuous hike a bike sessions.

After some quality suffering I arrived at Star City. I did not see any structures but a lot of diggings.

The rig.

Above Star City the road again became mostly unrideable so I got into a rhythm of 50 steps and a rest of 5 deep breaths. Brutal, but the rests gave my shoulders a break and allowed me to enjoy the scenery more.

During one of the rests I was treated to a fine bear sighting! Just ambled along sniffing here and there.

The section below Belfort was the toughest of the day so arriving at the "ghost town" felt like going to heaven.

I took a nice long break to eat, drink and check out the ruins in a truly magical setting.

Above Belfort is another small cabin -

near a pretty spring where I filled my bottles for the ascent to the summit

Above 10,000' the flowers were splendid.

Above Belfort the riding was easier and more alpine -

until the last of the tough hike a bike sections. Incredibly steep but not too loose thankfully.

The views of Long Meadow kept my spirits high as I toiled up the road.


Above Long Meadow the moonscape begins. Wheeler Peak

The road ahead with Mt Patterson center.

Generally easy riding in a dreamy landscape. I took my time!

Views from the summit. East.

North along the spine of the Sweetwater Range

The summit gang. Nice folks.

Looking down to the East Fork of the Walker River - my low point yesterday.

Took a short detour on the descent to the Montague Mine cabin.

After an exhilarating descent I found a cool and quiet camp site near Desert Creek.

Great area.

A little agony for a lot of ecstasy!

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

Lovely reports, as usual. I had planned to be crazy and drive ( from SF) to the east side, this Saturday night, but after getting off at 9:30 the idea of driving 5-6 hours just didn't work out--my dream of waking to the sunrise at the Mobil above LV< wa not to be . . .