Saturday, July 18, 2020

Trailer Camping Up North

With a brutal heat wave underway I decided to get out of Bishop and head north to higher ground. My first stop was at my friend Reed's camp site near the top of Sherwin Grade. He has managed to find a quiet shady spot not far from the highway.

I spent a couple of days there going for short rides and hikes each day.

This is the wild and rugged stretch of the upper Owens River Gorge.

 Twilight views east to Casa Diablo and the White Mountains.

The nearby Sierra.

The northern end of Wheeler Ridge with Witcher Canyon cleaving upward. 

 Tuff and plumes.

Tuff windows.

Wheeler Crest and sage flats


Next up I met Mary and friends to camp up in Lundy Canyon. The followins morning Mary and I hiked from the Virginia Lakes area up and around the north side of Dunderberg on the Kavanaugh Ridge jeep trail.





I also had the pleasure of hiking up the Oneida Lake trail.


Lots of old mining ruins and machinery up there.

The dam at the outlet to Oneida Lake



Mining/milling machinery

The down valley view

There are several pleasant meadows below Oneida Lake

The trail affords big views of Lundy Canyon in its lower sections.

Temps were still pretty warm in the afternoon but nothing like in Bishop. Campgrounds and trails were busy. Nice getaway!

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

It's about midnight here in SF and I'm just home from my covid-gig at which I've been counting down the days ( july 30) until I can be on the east side again--meanwhile, thanks.