Thursday, January 28, 2021

Wilkerson Skiing

The forecast for a major storm panned out. Feet upon feet of new snow in the mountains. Highway 395 closed. Here at home in Wilkerson we got close to a foot of snow and about 36 hours of constant winds in the 30 mph to 40 mph range.

It's the perfect time to get out the old waxless skis and go sagebrush skiing!

And by old, I mean over 35 years old. My first skis. I bought them in 1984 at Adventure's Edge in Arcata. Still kickin' (and gliding too).

Yesterday we had light to moderate snow all day with a low grey ceiling.

 

 I put in a track above our house and did loops. The skiing got better and better with each pass.

 

 This morning I skied from the house down to the hot ditches below Keough's Hot Springs.

The clouds lifted, the snow stopped, but the wind kept blowing.

Took a good long soak in the warm water. It felt terrific!

Boy it's fun to ski right from the front door! Wonder what it's like in the mountains.





No comments: