Saturday, March 26, 2022

Nevahbe Ridge

 After a week plus of recovery and yard work I felt ready to go, so day before yesterday I decided to poke around the Nevahbe Ridge area.

 Raised ski and snowmobile tracks on the big cone on the right from months ago were not an especially encouraging sight.


The first few couloirs to come into view looked like they "went" but held a lot of dirty snow and were not real inviting.

These two a bit higher looked better. Ended up in the left one.

Cool rock formations on the climb.



With about 3,000' under my belt and the sun rapidly warming the snow I turned around here.

I started the descent about 11:15 and was more than happy to find quite good skiing.

Today I went back again. Early light on Long Valley and Lake Crowley.

There has to be fifteen or twenty nice lines off Nevahbe Ridge. I was tempted by this one, but kept on going.

Glad I did. The next set looked really attractive. Ended up booting the left hand chute.

Views back to Long Valley and Crowley.

Gorgeous! The smooth, sun softened wind board skied really well.

Got up to the dark band of rock below this pinnacle and started to find the snow more punchy and transitional, so I turned around there.

Splendid skiing all the way!


 Again I descended around 11:15. Timing seemed about right. Lots of reports of funky snow here in the Eastern Sierra, but I lucked out and found the fun snow.

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

wow, get it while you can.