Friday, May 6, 2022

South Lake

 It's great to be home! I figured I'd check on conditions in the "backyard" up South Lake way. The road is open to the trailhead and the walk along the lake is a breeze. Snow is patchy up to about 10,000' but coverage is good above that.

 Views from the parking lot. I wound up skiing the bowl far left.

South Lake is extremely low.

Hurd Peak and the large bowl beneath.

The ridge above the bowl offered fine views of the lower Treasure Lakes and Treasure Bowl.

I skied the most western part of the bowl where the corn had cooked quite nicely.

I went back up today for a longer tour. Unfortunately I got a little sunscreen or some other spluge on my lens and didn't notice. Call it "dream mode", hah!


Cruised up the drainage above the lakes. Mt Johnson in the back.

The uppermost Treasure Lake.

The descent consisted of several little bowls like this one. Maybe an hour or so later than ideal but still skied well.

Pretty scene at the lowest Treasure Lake.


 A short hike got me into the bowl I skied day before yesterday. I ran into a few patches of isothermal death snow, but surfed through that ok and got down in one piece.

Great to be on skis in the Sierra again!

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

When the corn's a cookin . . .