Sunday, December 18, 2022

McGee Again

 Yesterday I went back to McGee. This time I went to the Northwest end. There are so many large, open features this place could be a ski area. In fact, it once was - before Dave McCoy realized there was a lot more snow at Mammoth mountain.

I started at the little berg of Long Valley. A place I called home back in 1993. The temp was -4F, but thankfully warmed up appreciably once I climbed a couple of hundred feet.

Long Valley, Glass Mountains and the White Mountains.

Stumbled on a USGS high sensitivity GPS unit used to measure ground deformation around the Long Valley Caldera.

I skinned up almost 2,500' and skied from there. Nice snow from the get go.

The best snow of the run was in here though.

I elected to cash in yesterday's hard work and went back up my skin track today.

The previous day's handiwork.

I took a great, long run down to Tobacco Flat then skinned back out. Down track is just beyond the up track.

Took another fine run down near where I skied yesterday. Snow was best low, where the air is staying cold and the wind hasn't affected it as much.

Such an incredible zone. One could spend several days working this area and never ski the same run twice!
 

No comments: