Friday, September 1, 2023

Upper Buttermilks/Coyote Plateau Bike Tour

 Time for another bike tour! This time I started from our home, rode mostly dirt to the Buttermilk Road, then up onto the Coyote Plateau from Habeggar's/South Fork.

 The Buttermilk Road was damaged from the spring and summer deluges, but was little problem on the bike.

McGee Creek near the bouldering area.

The riding got tough for a bit up until the Horton Lake trailhead turnoff, then became easier as the road condition improved and the gradients eased.

 

After a bit over five hours of riding I arrived at the campsite.

After a nap and an early dinner I went for a relaxing late afternoon stroll.

The next morning I got an early start and rolled out of the Upper Buttermilk country.


The climb out of Habeggar's started out pleasant. Great dirt and not too steep.

Soon the road steepened and became more rocky. By the time I reached the old miner's cabin I was ready for a break! New (to me) bike. A Carver Ti Gnarvester 29"+.  Rode like dream!

Above the cabin, the road really steepens and is somewhat eroded. I had to push the bike a fair bit there, but it all felt worth it when I arrived at the high point at over 11,000'.


The scenery on the descent into Coyote country was fantastic.


I had hoped to make it over to Baker Lake, but the steep climb took a toll on my legs so I settled on Coyote Lake. Many years this lake is completely dry, but it's brimming full now.

After a good rest, I went for a stroll that turned into a solid hike as the high country lured me upwards.


Lots of flowers!

Hummingbird Moth on Columbine.

Heading home the next morning. Coyote Flats.

The descent down the Coyote Road is usually good fun, but it's heavily eroded now. Entertaining at times. Tedious at others. 

I got to the bottom to find the road was closed. No wonder I had the place to myself!

Cruised home. It was so sweet to roll right to the front door!
 

1 comment:

superdave said...

Awesome trip! Hummingbird moth on Columbine could be the best timing of a bunch of great photos Thanks