Saturday, November 21, 2020

Skiing!

Ski season is here at last! Thursday Mary and I rode lifts at Mammoth and found surprisingly good snow and coverage. The employees are hyper-vigilantly enforcing mask wearing, thankfully, and most folks were pretty good about keeping a six foot separation.

Beautiful day too. Neither too warm nor too cold. Calm at the base, breezy mid mountain and above.

Guests only ride lifts with their own group, so most chairs only have two or three people on them - which results in less crowded slopes. Nice! The downside is the wait is longer. Ten minutes was the norm with an occasional fifteen minute line. Not bad.

Today I trucked on up to the Mammoth Lakes Basin to check on conditions there.

Twin Lakes with about a million Coots on the open patches.

The skiing in the low angle glades was terrific. Had to be careful of the lurking sun crust on sunnier aspects though.

I found myself on an interesting ridge with good views.



 
A little billy goating on the ridge led to a nice glade run down to Horseshoe Lake.

Lil' squiggles just above the lake.


Terrific first tour of the year! I didn't get up near treeline, but my general impression is that it's pretty boney up there with the best snow and coverage in the deeper glades.

Hope more snow comes soon!
 

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

I'll just have to wait . . .