Thursday, December 24, 2020

Back to White Wing

Today I went back to White Wing. Maybe because I was feeling unimaginative. Maybe because my visit last Sunday was so incredible.  

I didn't expect conditions to be as good as Sunday's, but I figured if they were half as good the trip would still be worth it!

The eastern end of White Wing, which really is a long east/west trending ridge, with my old tracks from Sunday.

It was quite apparent the recent high winds had reeked havoc on the snow. Here, up high near the ridge top, the snow had all sorts of different textures. Lots of breakable crust. Lousy skiing!

Looking over towards the summit.

And off to the south to Mammoth Mountain (right).

I found good skiing along the western edge of the bowl, among the trees. Took two short runs in there.

Out in the meadow the wind had transformed these animal tracks into an interesting pattern.

My ski track from Sunday. My passing had compressed the snow making it more resistant to wind erosion. The rest of the snow simply blew away!

Not as good as Sunday, but still a lot of fun.

More snow is in the forecast, but how much will fall?


3 comments:

Bob Shattuck said...

It's midnight, christmas eve and I just sent a text to my neighbor to shut the party down. The only plus to the parties is that the guy is French and all his friends are french and I don't speak much french, so I really don't understand what they're yelling about, but that the extent of my tolerance . . . anyway, Some silence at the moment to go with your images. A little peace as I try to find down, from city assholes.

Scott E said...

Glad to be of service Bob! Merry Christmas

Bob Shattuck said...

Thanks and Happy New Year, as every idiot in the "hood starts blowing off fire works . . . . ugh.