Thursday, May 6, 2021

Blacktop Peak Ski Tour

I've been pining to get away for a multi day ski tour for a while now but there hadn't been a good weather/conditions window until this last weekend. Sunday I sprung at the chance.

I have had my eyes on the Alger Lakes/Koip Peak/Blacktop Peak area for a long time. I had day hiked Blacktop back in 1998 and had been to Gem Pass, but had never been in the Alger Lakes drainage. It was time!

The tour started near Silver Lake with a hike up the Rush Creek trail.

Looking back down at Silver Lake.

After a bit less than an hour of hiking I arrived at scenic Agnew Lake.

I encountered a few snow patches on the trail around Gem Lake, dropped the hiking shoes at the junction with the Parker Pass trail and roughly followed it up on mostly continuous snow. 

I noticed these odd trail markers along the way. They're old license plates cut in half and nailed to the trees.

The weather forecast called for strong north winds, so I elected to camp below Gem Pass in the forest for protection. I found a workable if not ideal spot on the trail with access to running water and swell views of Ritter, Banner and the Minarets.


The winds did indeed pick up. Clouds built and I even spied a snowflake or two before the skies cleared around sunset.

The following morning dawned bright, clear, cold, and breezy but I still managed to set out pretty early. I quickly found myself at Gem Pass.

A short drop and a little traverse brought me into the Alger Creek drainage. Magical scenery.


Cresting a slight rise I had this view of the main Alger Lakes with Koip Peak (my goal) at the head of the canyon.

Sadly all of the routes on the southeast face of Koip Peak had melted out.

Honestly, I wasn't feeling 100% anyhow. Altitude, attitude, funky backpacking food? I don't know, but I was fine with skinning up to this little bench and calling it my high point.

The timing was right for skiing down as the snow was just beginning to soften. This moderate run down to upper Alger Lake was especially nice.

Skating across the main Alger Lakes was enjoyable too. Note the stunning ice fall here.

One more mellow cruise here brought me to the base of an alternative to Gem Pass which worked out much better for skiing because the snow was continuous down to camp from the top. June Mountain ski area in the distance.

Arriving at camp I felt somewhat better, but still a bit off. I figured I'd see how I felt the next morning and go from there.

Happily, I awoke feeling fine. I got my act together and set out early for Blacktop Peak. Just above camp I enjoyed another great view of the Ritter Range.

I loved the sublime meadows in this zone. San Joaquin Mountain center.


The hazy view to the east. Mt Downs (foreground), the Glass Mountains (middle), and the White Mountains (distant).

Easy travel, perfect weather and more fine Sierra scenery higher up.


Blacktop Peak. My goal for the day. I strolled up on the far right and skied down the open bowl.

Koip Crest pinnacles.

The last stretch to the summit. I found fair to good skiing right from the top, turning to good even very good off to the left and down the bowl.

The views from the top were stupendous. The Ritter Range with Thousand Isand Lake nestled at the base of Banner Peak.

Looking north to Kuna Peak (left) and Koip Peak (right)

To the west are Rodgers Peak (pointy left) along with the duo of Lyell and McClure (right).

The ski back to camp was terrific, low angle cruising. So much fun!

Back at camp I ate lunch, brewed a cup of coffee, and packed up.

Energized, the hike out was a breeze. Along Gem Lake I noticed these fascinating snowflake melt patterns on the frozen lake. Wild.


 Another two hours or so of hiking and I was back at the trailhead.

Simply Incredible. Might have to go out for another multi day tour before the season's over!


2 comments:

Bob Shattuck said...

Excellent--just the kind of conditions I'd like to get out in.

Mose said...

Nice work and thanks for sharing!
Beautiful country...