Wednesday, April 28, 2021

TJ Bowl

 With Mammoth Mountain reporting 3" to 4" of new snow I figured I'd check out the Mammoth Lakes Basin hoping to find some powder skiing.

I started early just in case the sun came out and started wrecking conditions. It proved unnecessary, but it sure was pretty and quiet.

Lake Mary and the eastern Mammoth Crest

 The sun peeked out a few times, but for the most part it stayed cloudy all day. Crystal Crag. Tracks on the open slopes below. Folks had been out in force the day before.


TJ Bowl over TJ Lake. I took two runs in the trees upper left and the last run down the left side of the bowl.


Another shot of Crystal Crag over TJ Lake.


 It was a legitimate winter day with temps at treeline staying in the high teens all morning along with a brisk north wind.


Happily I found 6" to 8" of  fairly light snow up here. The lower angle runs in the trees (right in photo) provided terrific skiing. On the steeper pitches in TJ Bowl I hit the old crust beneath, but it still skied pretty darn well.


Last gasp for old man winter? Who knows, but I sure did enjoy it!




No comments: