Saturday, April 10, 2021

Chocolate Peak Circumnav

After Thursday's tour with Rick I was itching to get back up into the high country above South Lake again, so yesterday I took a mellow solo tour up and around Chocolate Peak.

Meadow skipping, granola touring, a hike with skis on - whatever you want to call it, I donned the lightweight gear and headed in.

 After the obligatory, for now, half hour walk up the road I reached South Lake with fine views.

I followed the well trodden summer trail before veering off to Lake Mary Louise enjoying pleasant and efficient travel.

Bull Lake with Mt Hurd (left) and Ski Mountaineers Peak (distant right).

Looking back to the northern reach of Thompson Ridge.

Next I meandered up into the Chocolate Lakes basin with the Inconsolable Range looming overhead.

Pleasing perspective on the beautiful north face of Mt Goode.

After a little "billy goating" through the patchy/rocky south facing slopes above Ruwau Lake I enjoyed a fun little run down to Long Lake then a short climb to the bench east of Hurd Peak.

Long Lake, Chocolate Peak and the northern Inconsolables.

Splendid granite on Hurd Peak

The Hurd Peak chutes. Not so splendid from a skiers perspective.


 From this shoulder I did manage to find some good skiing on solar aspects clear down to South Lake with only a short bouldery treed section. North aspects are mostly similar to the above pic with a wintery mix of windboard, breakable crust, and recycled powder - not inviting.

Super tour. Beautiful day. Saw no one out there. Good one.