Friday, April 26, 2019

Brown Lake & Pt. 12682

Spring skiing in the Sierra is addictive! Today I elected to stay close to home and tour in the high country.

The road is apparently plowed to South Lake but it's still gated just above the Parcher's Resort. That may change tomorrow with fishing opener - maybe. From the little parking area at the gate I hopped right on the snow and headed up towards Brown Lake. Started around 6:45.

Views of the South Fork of Bishop Creek from the top of the initial slope above Parcher's. I booted up with crampons on firm snow.

Beautiful morning nearing Brown Lake. My tour took me up the bowl in the shade then up to point 12682 (out of view).

Started with boots & crampons here too which was great until around 12000' where I started to punch through, so I skinned w/ ski crampons the rest of the way to the summit.

Views! Vagabond Peak (far left), Mt Agassiz (distant right) and Picture Puzzle (right).

Peaks! Goode (right w/ huge North Face), Gilbert (right w/ snow ramp), & blocky Thompson (far right) among many others.

Looking north down the South Fork.

Tools of the trade.

Pure $$!

Started down a bit after 10:00 and found firm conditions for the first few turns, but once I was able to wrap around to a slightly east facing slope the snow was perfect. I like my corn al dente where it's just soft enough to feel smooth underfoot!

While McGee was fun, today slotted into the fantastic category.

No comments: