Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Dolomites: Over to Sella Brunech

Our third day in the Dolomites dawned cloudy and wet with the precipitation switching from rain to snow and back again. It was nice to enjoy a leisurely morning in our cozy condo, but by late morning I was eager to get out and ski.

Hoping for some pleasant skiing in new snow I boarded the nearby Col de Rodello tram literally only a few minutes from our place.

The higher ski runs were completely in the clouds, but the lower runs in the trees were alright. I found anywhere between 2" and 8" of new snow during the day much of it untracked.

Where the snow was deeper and the slope not too steep I enjoyed fine skiing, not scraping the firm snow beneath.

I also wanted to explore a new area, so after a few runs above Canazei I hopped on the tram down to the small town of Alba.


Once in Alba I took a very short walk to the gondola which took me up into the Ciampac area, which had a distinctly different character. More open, a bit less dramatic and more relaxed.

 I found completely untracked snow next to this surface lift. Good lighting too. So fun!

Next I rode the chairlift to the top of the ridge at Sella Brunech and marveled at the views down into Val Jumela.


Looking down into Ciampac. More nice untracked snow here!

After a long, leg burner of a run back down to Alba I hopped back on the tram to Col del Rossi and got a good perspective on Alba (bottom left), Canazei (right) and Campitello (distant)

Fine wintery views!

By the time I skied over to the slopes above Campitello my legs were completely thrashed! Another terrific day skiing here in the Dolomites and completely different from the first two.

With more snow forecast I am hoping some good off piste options open up. Stay tuned!

No comments: