Thursday, September 27, 2018

Bodie Hills Bikepack Day 1

My latest bikepacking adventure started off into one of my favorite riding locales - the Bodie Hills.

Loaded and ready to go from Lundy Campground.

After a gentle spin along Highway 167 I headed up Cottonwood Canyon enjoying the views back toward the Sierra.

As well as the views down to Mono Lake.

Climbing up the well graded road was a pleasure.

To Bodie!


The toll house on the road from Bodie to Del Monte.

Looking back up along Bodie Creek. At this meadow I left the canyon and climbed up onto a plateau.

The climb was steep and eroded.

Loved the splashes of color in the hills!

The alkali lake and Beauty Peak were worth the climb.


On the plateau the road initially provided fine riding.

Once I began the descent the road became much rockier.

Then rocky and eroded. Difficult but not impossible to ride.

Hmm Impossible!

Happily the road improved down low and I rolled into Fletcher happy to have the first day behind me.

The spring in Fletcher feeds a genuine oasis in the sagebrush desert.


Nice views from camp of the Wassuk Range.




No comments: