Monday, February 4, 2019

Habeggar's

After a stormy Saturday, the forecast predicted a bit of a lull in the weather for Sunday. With avalanche danger high I decided to head up to the low angle Habeggar glades.

The sweet little hamlet of Habeggar's (now usually referred to as South Fork).

It snowed lightly throughout the day with winds coming and going but never too strong.

Friends had been up the day before and although I could not see their track I could feel it beneath my skis. Definitely helpful in the 20" or so of new snow.

Once I got higher I lost their track and broke trail up to the glades. Looking good!

Took one run on the "outside" and ran into my friends Ashley and Chris. Great to hook up with them and I most certainly was glad to have a little help with trailbreaking inside the glades.

Took a run with them here. Sweet skiing for sure.

Took another on the outside where visibility had improved. Super fun run. Tracks from my first run.

The winter weather and scenery was fantastic. The skiing wasn't too shabby either.
More snow on it's way. Bring it!

2 comments:

Rini Sugianto said...

hi scott,
Just found your blog and I've been reading it every day now! i hope you don't mind me asking questions here and there. I just started getting into backcountry skiing and are looking for some easy terrain to get into. Do you think this one will be a good one?
Thank you!!

Scott E said...

Hi! Just saw your comment. Apologies! Yes, this is a good one for someone just getting into backcountry skiing. Almost all of the zone is low angle and safe except during the most extreme avalanche conditions. Be careful of the steep sections down near the gully at the bottom of the glades. Have fun. Be safe!