Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Bikepack in the White Mountains

First off  I want to apologize for the photo quality. I unknowingly had a chunk of debris on the lens of my cell phone camera. The pictures ended up with a hazy, dreamlike quality which is much like I remembered since I was often in a state of hypoxia!

I started my trip at the northeast end of Deep Springs Valley and rode up Wyman Canyon for a bit. The road quickly leaves the narrow rugged canyon and rises onto a pretty granite plateau.

Back down in Wyman Canyon there are numerous stream crossings like this.

The "road" to Dead Horse Meadow leaves Wyman Canyon and is immediately steep and rugged with several washed out sections. I spent a lot of time pushing my bike! The pleasing scenery at the meadow were a fine reward though.


After another couple of miles of steep up/down through this country.....

I arrived at my camp near Crooked Creek.

First on the agenda the next morning was a steep climb up switchbacks - again including plenty of hike a bike. The view down into the valley where I camped.

 Higher up I could see clear down into Eureka Valley.

Eventually I ended up on the stark plateau near Sage Hen Peak.

Lots of cacti and these bright white flowers.

A quick and thrilling descent brought me back to the lush banks of Crooked Creek.

This is a very pretty area with many stunning granite outcrops among green meadows. None of my photos turned out unfortunately, but I highly recommend a visit!

Higher up in Crooked Creek.

At last I reached the serene crest of the White Mountains.

Looking down into Wyman Canyon - the next leg of my adventure.

I took my lunch break at the Roberts Ranch cabin on Wyman Creek.

Another hour or so of riding brought me back to my truck in Deep Springs. I hope to be back soon to explore more of this great area!







1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

terrible, terrible, photo quality which makes me just not want to go any where out there--place looks horrible (lucky you! )