Monday, June 15, 2020

The Foot of the Inyos

Although the pandemic is far from over - we have had a few new cases here in Inyo County after over a month without - I have been venturing a little farther out. Short drives bring me to places I've rarely, if ever, visited.

Yesterday I started near the bridge over the Owens River on Aberdeen Station Road.

I then rode south along the foot of the Inyos enjoying expansive views of the Owens Valley and the grand Sierra.

This area was the scene of much mining activity. Pretty Copper ore.

Short climbs led to big vistas.

The whip, the buggy, the ride, the bike - whatever you want to call it, brings me to magical spots.


This fat lizard was doing his/her push ups.

The dirt on these alluvial fans is perfect for gravel riding. Compact, smooth and almost never very rocky.

Maybe the best view of the day.

Remnants of an old structure near the historic railroad grade (just beyond road on left).

The blend of fine scenery, pleasant riding, interesting history, solitude, and delightful weather made for an especially satisfying outing.

No comments: