Sunday, February 21, 2021

Bishop Bowl

I spent the last two days skiing out of Aspendell Meadows, the usual approach to Bishop Bowl. Yesterday I went out for a quick leg stretcher to check on conditions up there.

Didn't look too good. Almost turned around! The moraine is almost bare and the coverage in the meadow is meager.

I did manage to find consolidated snow with enough coverage to get up to the North Lake overlook. Lamarck Col left of center. Fools Ridge on right.

Whilst up there I noticed the snow looked pretty good on a nearby hill. Gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised.

The turns down saddle were decent so I took another run in the "mini-golf" zone.

Fun in there too.

I hadn't planned on skiing Bishop Bowl today, but my prescription goggle inserts popped out at my last transition yesterday and I wanted to retrieve them. I started off the day finding them and then booting up snow & sage to the top of the moraine.

Nice views greeted me there. Basin & Tom.

Looking up at the summit. I skied the tree run far right. Never done that before!

From my high point the views of the Paiute Crags and Mt Emerson were grand.

Mts Checkered Demon (left) and Locke (right). Could be some corn potential there!

My lunch spot, my gear, my hometown.

I happily found good powder skiing in these glades.


The descent off the moraine was "interesting" with large patches of 50/50 snow & brush. Supportable though so not too dangerous. 

Terrific day. Often wondered what this zone was like. Now I know!

 

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

Yes, Yes, Yes . . . I turned a friend onto your page--she's sort of newly planted in Mammoth---and she's invited or offered or something, so I hope to get her out, inspired by your posts. (actually, it's me that's gotta be inspired, since I live in San Francisco)