Friday, February 12, 2021

South Fork Bishop Creek

The original plan for the day was to head up to June and ski lifts with Mary, but neither of us had the stomach for the inevitable crowds, so I switched gears and went for a tour up the South Fork of Bishop Creek.

I was hoping for a little more snow up here although the forecast was for just 2" to 4" and we got a little more with 4" to 6". The storm cleared at dawn leaving clear crisp skies. Stunning.

I noticed this zone had decent coverage when Forest and I were up here last week, so I gave it a whirl.

Table Mountain steeps

Despite the low snowfall total there were several loose dry sloughs which entrained a fair amount of snow.

The skin track and big views from my high point.

Looking up at the end of the run.


I'd call it fair to good skiing on dust plus on crust. There just wasn't enough snow to keep from skiing on the old crust. The best turns were on the low angle runout where I stayed up off the crust for the most part.

Gorgeous day though. This run's a hidden gem!

2 comments:

Bob Shattuck said...

Lovely . . . I've already done my rock skiing for the year. Sadly christened the wrong pair of skis.

Scott E said...

Yeah. I didn't have a pair of rock skis when the season started. Now I do!