Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Blue Crag Area

 I love tree skiing, but I also love skiing big open slopes so I headed up to the Mammoth Lakes Basin and toured in the Blue Crag area.

Fortunately another party had broken a trail to the Ship's Prow (center) which I was able to use for a long while before breaking off just above this spot.

Blue Crag far left.

Happened to catch a photo of a small slough cascading down the north face.

I skinned up and left here for the first run, then far right to the white block for the second run.

 

The skinning got a little tedious up towards the top, so I booted the last bit up and over the lip. Always a great feeling to top out!

The first few turns were surprisingly good on wind buffed snow, then very fine powder all the way.

Had to head up for a second run. This is my second high point. I wanted to top out here too, but the sun was getting really warm and I figured it was prudent to turn around.

Ready to go for the second run.

Every bit as good as the first!

Parting shot.

Incredible day. So much fun!

I felt good about the stability in this zone. I "dug" several hand pits and did a lot of pole probing. There were no weak layers evident in the upper snow pack, although the far lookers left midway up felt a bit hollow so I avoided that area. No roller balls or wet slides today, but there was activity from previous days. I got an early start and was out of the high country by noon.
 

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

Big sniles, I'm sure. Lovely.