Saturday, March 13, 2021

Storm Skiing Up North

I started the day thinking I'd ski in the Mammoth Lakes Basin again, but the June Mountain ski report indicated they got over a foot up there so I changed my mind. Elected to hit a zone I scoped out back during low tide. 

More great winter scenery on the way in with light to moderate snowfall and little puffs of wind that would blow powder clouds out of the trees.

Little bit of a chore getting back there. I found about 6" of new snow at the parking lot, 8"-10" on way in and 12" up high.

Very good skiing! Would hit the old sun crust if you got on any southern/sunny exposure, but soft and light almost all the time.

Dead fir wrapped upon itself.

So many open runs like this. Tremendous fun!

While the skiing wasn't quite as amazing as it was above McCleod Lake Wednesday, the runs were 1,000' instead of 400' and I took four instead of three, so I got a ton more smile mileage! Not a soul around either.
 

No comments: