Monday, March 8, 2021

Skiing West Central Nevada

Last week I got outta Dodge and into the Nevada outback. A relatively short drive brought me to the land of many ranges. Specifically, the Toiyabe, Shoshone, and Desatoyas. 

My first day out was mostly a recon mission, but I did rally for a short tour here in the Toiyabes. Coverage looked good low. Not so good high. Managed to make it up to the top of the treed knob right of center.

Each tour I did out here started with a cruise up a snowy road.

Left the road and climbed these open slopes.

The Toiyabe crest was mostly wind stripped here

and the snow on the mid elevation slopes was mostly wind sculpted.

Fair to poor skiing, but found little pockets of good snow here and there.


Conditions looked much better further north in the Toiyabes. The scenery in the upper Reese River Valley was real nice too.


Saw several Antelope in ones and twos. No big herds, but always a delightful sighting.
 

The first three nights of the trip I camped at Berlin/Ichthyosaur State Park.

Ichthyosaurs were reptilian versions of whales. Reaching up to 70 feet in length. Fossils were discovered here in the 1950s and several were left uncovered but insitu for viewing. Unfortunately the building housing them was closed, but they were visible through a small window. Would love to come back when the they're giving tours.

Berlin is a well preserved little ghost town. Took a nice twilight stroll.


 
I am an early riser. A great benefit is being out for the nice dawn light. Ione Valley, with shadows of the Shoshone Range. Paradise Range in back.

I had noted Baldy Mountain as a potential ski zone during my recon drive. Noticed this sign pointing to a Boy Scout camp nearby, so I figured the road probably wasn't too bad.

Worked out well. I was able to drive right up to continuous snow.

Baldy (left) was too bald, but Pt 9105 (right) actually had decent coverage in the trees beyond the right hand ridge.


Good views from the summit. South into the Ione Valley.

East into the Reese River Valley and the southern Toiyabe Range.

Found good skiing in the Pinyon/Juniper glades. Really cool day!

The next day I tried to tour up nearby Buffalo Mountain via Knickerbocker Wash. The wash turned out to be a steep sided, brush choked gorge. No go. Interesting ruins however.



Decided to move camp that day to the Smith River Valley playa.

Loved the scenery out there.

The Desatoyas lured me in with good coverage and big open moderate slopes. More early morning bliss.

The northern Shoshone Mountains.

Unfortunately the main road heading into the Desatoya Range from the east, the Smith River Ranch Road, is on private property. I was able to skirt the ranch on 4x4 roads, but they brought me nowhere near the high peaks.

Had to settle for skiing little knobs, which wasn't all that bad. Would have been cool to reach crest, but this is as close as I got.

Looking back at the playa with the Toiyabes off in the distance.

Where there was snow the skiing was surprisingly decent. Corny here.

Skied this little bowl and then hiked up another knob.

The last run was pretty funky with bottomless facets. Never skied snow like that before.

Kinda disappointing, but still a good day. Back at camp.

Took a relaxing twilight recovery spin on the playa.

I saved the best for last. Went up North Shoshone Peak. The high point of the Shoshone Range.

I came in on the Peterson Canyon 4x4 road. After a mile or so of hiking on patches the snow became continuous, but I was still a long way from the peak which is not even in view here.

Not the peak, but a pretty fine looking ski zone.

Bear track.

I was tempted to head up the Northwest Ridge (left) but it looked pretty steep and windswept, so I skinned up this valley to the saddle and on up the West Ridge.

After over two hours of skinning up the 4x4 road I got into this cool gully system below the saddle.

Then found fairly easy skinning up the treed ridge.

Reached the summit and found this interesting little structure. Great spot to sit, soak it in, and be grateful.

Views South into the Ione Valley.

Northeast to the Toiyabes.

Northwest to the Desatoyas.

The glades on the ridge skied well. Had to watch the sunny patches where the crust lurked though.

Consistently fun skiing was had down from the saddle although the drought stricken forest wasn't exactly scenic.

Incredible day! Long, but not overly difficult. Wild, remote. Good weather. Fun skiing. Yippee.

Winds picked up in the afternoon producing a dust storm on the playa.

Front row seat from camp. Thankfully it wasn't blowing my way.

That evening's sunset was the best of the trip.

Heck of a wonderful adventure! Felt like I just scratched the surface of what this zone has to offer. I'll be back for sure.

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

Looks like a lovely rock ski adventure . . . adding this to the dream list.