Monday, May 8, 2023

Round and Round

 Round Mountain looms high above our home, so I've had my eyes on it for a very long time. I got close a couple of weeks ago, but turned around as conditions were warming fast and I erroneously thought the summit was further and higher than it was.

Essentially, it was well within my grasp but I turned around!

 Needless to say, missing the summit has been nagging me pretty badly since then, so I decided to have another go.

 Round Mountain and the large chute falling from it's South Ridge.


 This time around I decided to make it an overnighter. It made for an easier summit day and an earlier start allowing for ideal skiing conditions.

The creek in Shannon Canyon was raging making for difficult hiking and wet feet.

Sweet views from camp.

Home sweet home.

I was indeed able to get a good early start and was on snow quickly.

The chute. Looks small but definitely is not.

The coveted summit.

More killer views.

Looking down at Bishop


Lousy pic, but good turns right from the tip top.

Dropping into the SE face/chute system.


 Delightful corn down the chute, fair skiing on old avy debris below that. Mission accomplished!

No comments: