Saturday, May 27, 2023

White Mountain Attempt

 I got home yesterday from an attempt to summit White Mountain, the third highest peak in California and one I gaze at nearly every day from our house. The plan was to tackle it from the east side, driving up Leidy Canyon, hiking up an old stock trail to somewhere near Perry Aiken Flat, setting camp, then attempting the summit the next day.

The road up Leidy Canyon is well maintained until the last mile where it becomes more of a 4x4 route. I was stymied by this creek crossing. No way was I going to try to drive it, so I had to decide between wading it or bushwhacking upstream to where the road crosses back.

I chose the bushwhack through this. Somewhat of a nightmare, but for only about a quarter mile.


 I easily found the stock trail which was wonderful. Steep but not too steep, good dirt, fine views. I found a fine campsite at about 10,500', set camp, and explored the high country above.

Found an old shepherd's shelter among this small outcrop.

Complete with a fireplace and shelves!

Great stark scenery.


Bristlecones! Saw a bighorn sheep in the distance too.

I also enjoyed a pleasant, low angle ski descent back to camp, which was just a short distance down this drainage.

Took an after dinner stroll up to a nearby ridge with good views of Fish Lake Valley.

I slept well, rising early for my attempt on the summit.

Sublime.

I traversed over the ridge distant left into this huge basin at the head of the North Fork of Perry Aiken Creek.

For some reason my phone camera intermittently malfunctioned, taking blurry photos. A shame, but I include this one showing my routes.

I initially climbed the ridge left, reaching the rocks as the clouds rolled in. I descended and regrouped finally electing to cruise up the large bowl to the right.

Clouds rolling in high on the ridge.

Looking down on the expansive basin.

As I wound my way up the bowl I noticed this route up to the crest. Why not?

On the crest! Just 300' and a quarter mile from the summit (photo blurred so did not include, ugh). Looking north along the crest.


Sadly another wave of clouds rolled in along with steady graupel. Time to bail. I had a great descent nevertheless with just enough visibility to see the terrain and make good turns.

Leaving the basin the clouds parted briefly.

Pleasant descent back to camp.



Where the weather rolled in once again. Snow!

Next morning I hiked out. The creek had fallen, so no bushwhack. 

Sure had a lot of great moments up there!



No comments: