Tuesday, May 16, 2023

South Fork, Bishop Creek

 With warm temps and rapid warming, I elected to ski a west facing line I've been eyeing all season.

 Unfortunately it's a bit of a bushwhack to get to the base of the chute. A chainsaw would have been helpful.

Many years ago locals diverted a small spring to form this waterfall.

The bushwhack wasn't the only issue on the approach. I started with boot crampons and hard snow, but isothermal mank resulted in deep post holing here. I switched to skis & skins briefly, quickly finding firm, supportable snow in the chute. I climbed it with boots and crampons.

Looking up the run just above the throat.

There were many of these old, beautiful snags on the way up.

I topped out at about 11,200' and enjoyed killer views.


Stark windswept terrain up high.

The first 500' was still a little firm, so I worked this sun softened aspect.

Real nice skiing once I got a little lower here.

Good run. Had to be careful of the mank at the bottom. Found a good route out that avoided the worst of the bushwhacking too.

The line, left.


 Another new one!

No comments: