Saturday, June 10, 2023

Bunker Hill

I've been hankering for another trip to Nevada and after checking the snow depth maps it looked like there was enough snow to warrant a trip to the Toiyabe Range. 

Bunker Hill is the second highest peak in the range (Arc Dome is the highest) and is by far the most prominent mountain in the northern part of the Toiyabes.

Unfortunately there was a lot less snow than I had hoped, but I pressed on anyhow.

 The only real skiable line was on the northwest side of the mountain above Basin Canyon.

 There is decent stock trail that led almost all the way to the bottom of the snow tongue then I had easy booting up the snow field.

Above the snowfield I found a decent use trail leading to the peak. Looking north along the spine of the range.

The first of three false summits.

Looking down Mahogany Gulch. The Shoshone Range lies across the Reese River Valley left and the Desatoya Range is distant right.

On the summit looking to the lower south summit. Snow!

On the descent I poked around on the east side and found this nice line. Skied well and with a hard traverse left I found myself very near the top of the lower snow field.

The skiing was pretty good here too although the snow tongue was pretty cupped.

Looking back on my descent line with the stock trail.

Pretty dry down low. Nice scenery though.

Felt lucky to have found any skiing at all!


 

No comments: