Sunday, June 11, 2023

Deep Canyon

 Having found little skiable snow in the Toiyabes, I headed west to the Bridgeport area, where I figured lack of snow would not be an issue.

 I tend to seek out lines off the beaten path and lines I have not skied before - sometimes to my detriment! For good skiing with easy access, Virginia Lakes would have been the choice, but I've skied there a lot over the years, so I tried my hand on this line. Deep Canyon above Lower Summer Meadow.


 I scouted access the day before after driving from the Toiyabes, checked the topos, and elected to traverse from the Summers Meadow Road from just above a stream crossing - otherwise waders would have been required to get across the creek.

Judging from the distance and terrain I figured it would take me 45 minutes, maybe an hour tops, to get to snow, but the brush proved to be a lot more formidable than I counted on. An hour and twenty minutes later I was at last on snow. Heavily sun cupped, but easy traveling.

A bit above I found these interesting bear tracks. Looks like the bear was doing a little glissading on the way down!

Soon I was above treeline on open snow slopes.

North to Bridgeport Valley and the Sweetwater Range. The suncups were deep in spots, but there were also large patches of somewhat smooth snow too.

Mono Lake and the broad, glacier carved Green Creek valley in the foreground.

From the summit, Dunderpeak left and Excelsior Mountain distant right.

Monument Ridge with Twin Peaks just poking up behind left and the Sawtooth Ridge distant right.

I very much enjoyed the high elevation scenery, but while I was at the summit the winds picked up and the clouds rolled in, so I did not linger.

For the most part I enjoyed good skiing up high and down through the mid section by looking for the smooth panels. The light was pretty too.

The pink "watermelon" snow down low skied fairly well too, then the final snow tongue was cupped but soft.

3,000' of low angle fun was followed by 800' of brush through these slopes. Much easier going down than up since gravity helped and I could see the alleys through the brush better.

 

Long day. Great day!

Thunderstorms got more organized later that afternoon and evening and when I awoke the next morning all the peaks were shrouded in clouds with scattered rain and, perhaps, snow falling. Time to head home! Wonderful road trip.

1 comment:

reed or kayar said...

hey, re the white mtn shots,looked pretty familiar as u might expect. the columbine didnt show well. technically pretty diff. i think. I like the summit views from deep canyon.