Thursday, August 9, 2018

Half Moon Pass

I've been feeling the need for more mountain time, so I elected to hike up Half Moon Pass near Rock Creek Lake.

I poked around looking for a trail at the Hilton Creek trailhead parking lot, but saw nothing so I followed a small creek up toward the pass. This quickly led to a splendid bushwhack through small aspen.

The brush cleared and the terrain opened up as I hiked higher. Nice meadow.


Fun cross country travel brought me to the base of the pass. Note the half moon shape, hence its name. Easy scrambling leads to the top.

The views from the pass were real nice. Rock Creek Lake to the east.

Golden Lake to the west.

On the descent I found a good use trail which avoided all the bushwhacking, but wasn't nearly as scenic. There was a sweet little garden along the way though.

Mr. Marmot struck a fine pose.

Happily I didn't have to wade through this thicket!

Nice short, but vigorous hike.

No comments: