Wednesday, August 22, 2018

White Mountain Bikepack

I recently bought a fat bike, a Surly Pugsley, and some bikepacking gear with an eye toward adventure. First on the "to do" list was a trip into the White Mountains.

I started the trip where the pavement ends near Schulman Grove. After a few miles I got a good view of the terrain ahead for the day. 

Just north of the head of Silver Canyon the road twists along the ridgeline.

The next section climbs moderately toward head of Crooked Creek.

Beyond Crooked Creek. Campito Mountain (center). The road tilts up dramatically although it is paved up to the Patriarch Grove turn off.

Starting to get into the stark, beautiful high country.

A lone Bristlecone colonizer!

After the Patriarch Grove turnoff the road continues to climb steeply.

None too quickly I found myself in this vast terrain north of Sheep Mountain.

White Mountain looming in the distance.

Amazing scenery.

I stopped to check out Lamb Camp.
 
The first view of my home for the next two nights.

I had "found" this little pond on Google Earth but wasn't certain it always held water. I was quite elated to find it brimming full.

A nearby rock shelter protected me from the wind.

And the sun!

 After dinner I went for an evening stroll.

 


Magnificent!

No comments: