Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Big Trees

 Today I decided to drive up Bishop Creek and check on the reported wind effects on the snowpack. I got to the end of the plowed section of the South Lake Road and indeed most aspects, though not all, looked quite wind hammered.

I knew of a few sheltered spots that might be holding good snow, but require a good bit of work to get to. The 20mph winds weren't all that inviting either, so I headed back down canyon to ski some glades above Big Trees Campground.

For the most part the glades held soft, wind eroded snow although there were patches of wind crust behind and around some of the trees.

Huge chunks of tree fall littered the slopes.

Several tumbled down the slope carving trenches that created wind crust. Best avoided on the descent!

At the top of the glades I popped out onto a gentle ridge with nice views.


A bit higher I got into a zone with these amazing little pinnacles. Magic land!


I reached the summit of a small knob at about 8700'. Summit block with burned bush. No wind and plenty of sun made for a quite comfortable snack break and transition.

Excellent panoramic views.

The crux of the day, both coming and going, was the stream crossing.

The view of the glades and the knob from the highway. Skiable thanks to our ++ winter. I skied the far right side where wind effects were minimal.


 The skiing was good. Had to watch the little patches of wind crust, but they were easy to avoid.

 This little tour brought a big smile!

No comments: