Saturday, March 30, 2024

Back At It

 Took an unexpected break last week. Was doing pullups on a bar installed in the door jam by a previous owner when it failed on my third go. Jammed my big toe pretty good. Thought it was broken for a bit. Hurt like hell!

Fortunately it felt ok after a day, but I took it easy for a few more days to let it heal right. My first tour after the fall was a short one up to the "Old Ski Hill" as it's known locally.

It really started dumping as I reached the top.

After a quick transition I was welcomed by clearing skies.

Enjoyed a fun run. About 3" to 5" over a solid melt/freeze crust. Glad I had the fat boards (~120mm underfoot). Barely scraped the crust at all.

Toe felt ok. Energy solid, so I went for another tour the next day. Decided to check out one of the shoulders in the Schell Creek Range.

Looks like some sort of critter hunkered down during the storm and then popped out once things settled down.

Nice weather. Nice scenery.

The latest series of storms weren't big, but smoothed things out nicely.

Pretty similar skiing to the day before. Hit the crust occasionally, but still fun, fast skiing.

Second time up I reached a little knob with cool views of fine ski terrain.

These glades skied well. Kinda tight and had to watch the snakes though.

Lookin' up at my tracks from the first run and my skin track.

Yesterday I went back to the Schell Creek Range to a zone I had skied early season. Coverage was much better. Parked here. Might have gotten further but didn't want to mess around with a stuck truck. Pretty short approach anyhow.

Heading up. Note the old miner's shack low left.

More views on the way up.

Reached another mini summit with tolerable views of the neighborhood.


This area skied a little better. Only hit crust near the bottom of the runs.

First run.

Good enough to take three.


 Felt like I dodged a bullet with my toe. Somehow that little setback made me enjoy these tours more than usual. Gotta be grateful!

No comments: