Friday, March 22, 2024

Corn?

 Before I ramble on about yesterday's tour I thought I'd share a quote from an article I just read.

“The experience of novelty, or going to places you had never been before, actually seemed to have an even larger association with positive emotion on that day.”

This is something I discovered a long time ago. It is what led to my decision to move to Ely. It is what drives me to find "new" ski lines.

The days when I set out for new territory, find great terrain and good skiing are simply the best. Yesterday was another one of those.

 After a stretch of warm, sunny weather I got to believing there had to be some decent corn skiing out there. I checked maps and old photos and decided to try this zone in the Schell Creek Range.

It was cloudy early. Even had a few snowflakes, so I wasn't sure the snow would soften. One possibility for the day was the big bowl center. Doesn't look like much in this photo, but that's about 3,000'.

The ascent route took me up a beautiful, moderately sloped canyon.

Wind waves. In the snow. In the clouds.

I got up to the head of the ascent canyon where I kind of ran out of steam. The breeze was picking up and the snow was petering out, so I settled in front of these lone trees to snack and transition.

Took a moment to just sit and enjoy the views.

The descent of the canyon was terrific fun. The corn had cooked perfectly. Soft and velvety smooth.

A fine run top to bottom.


 It wasn't a big day, wasn't steep at all, but it was new. It was fun. The scenery was amazing. Put a great big smile on my face!

No comments: