Friday, March 15, 2024

Spring to Winter

 We continued to have a long spell of mild, spring like weather here in Ely. After tweaking my back again I took a couple of days to recover then felt good enough for a short tour.

 Went back to the "Ski Hill" just outside Ely. The slopes are just right of center.

Nice scenery on the way up.

Made it up to the high point and enjoyed the views over Steptoe Valley.

Fair to good skiing was found. A little wind affected and a touch heavy.


Took another day off to rest the back, but went for a hike just north of town. This squall line came in during the hike delivering rain then graupel then snow. There was even a rumble of thunder!

The front that came through brought cold air and north winds. Feeling good, the next day I headed up to one of my favorites.

I loved the lighting.




The skiing was not as good as it had been just a week ago. That north wind created drifts that made for variable surfaces. Not bad, but not great. Glad I had the bigger skis out today.

The zone looking up from the truck. I skied the face on the right.

Wanted to put back to back days in, so I headed over to the Schell Creek Range yesterday despite the forecast for strong winds and snow showers.

Skinned up this shallow drainage largely protected from the wind. Pretty locale.

I got a good mile up the drainage and noticed open slopes above me. The runs were kinda short, but the skiing was really good.


 A bit breezy at the top. Hah!
Terrific tour.

No comments: