Monday, April 8, 2024

Ely Skiing Again

 After my little road trip I took a couple of days off. Went for an easy spin and a short hike. Friday I was itching to ski again although the weather was a bit stormy.

 Got out in the afternoon for a short tour to the Old Ski Hill. Dumping pretty good as I made my way up the access road.

Let up as I reached the ridge.

Short, fun run. Nice snow. Didn't scrape crust even though I was on my lightweight/skinny skis.

Saturday high winds were forecast. Went back to the ski hill figuring I could bail if the winds were bad. Fortunately the winds didn't ramp up much. Took two decent runs on this slope despite hitting crust a fair amount

The ski hill from afar.

Yesterday (Sunday) dawned cold, clear, and calm so I elected to try a bigger tour up in the Schell Creek Range.

I had seen this zone on previous tours, but had yet to visit. As I reached the lower slopes I began to get excited!

Beautiful in here.

I turned around here as the slopes steepened and the snow was starting to feel slabby.

Maybe the best run of the year!


Had to go up for another! North Schell Peak, the high point of the range, back on the ridge.

Another view of the first run.

The second run wasn't as good. I skied from the left into these glades. Scraped down to old crust occasionally until I got to the lower bit. Fun but not tops like run one.

Looking back at the zone as I neared the truck.


Still buzzing from this tour!

 

 

No comments: