Friday, April 12, 2024

Hamels Peak Ski

 Yesterday I skied Hamels Peak in the Egan Range, but the day before I took a short tour to check on conditions. No easier place to do that than the Old Ski Hill just outside of town.

 Looked like a ski area (which it once was!) with all the tracks. 

Decided to go a little further back to avoid tracks and look for slopes with more sun exposure.

This slope skied well at 9am. Good fun on the lightweight gear.

Bonus views from the top towards Ward Mountain.

Feeling somewhat confident in decent corn type conditions, I drove down to the old Ward townsite for a ski on Hamels Peak (back).

I followed an old skin track up a shallow gully. Easy travel.

Aspen and pine.

Inspiring views to the southwest with pt 10302 left and pt 10070 right.

Looking north along the spine of the Egan Range to Ward Mountain South.

I skied this little face off Hamels on my way to pt 10218. Good skiing. Already softening at 0830.

The rugged White Pine Range from the summit of pt 10218.

I descended the face/shallow bowl right of center at around 0930. SE facing was overcooked, but E and especially ENE aspects skied well. Cool zone. Lots of ski lines and interesting mining ruins.

Looking up from the main road. Pt 10182 left (2022 report here), pt 10218 center, and Hamels Peak right.


 Would have had a better run off 10218 an hour or so earlier. I was a bit surprised it was so soft so early. Probably not fully cooked as there was 6" - 8" of fresh snow here only a few days ago.

1 comment:

Nicki M said...

Came to do my customary annual blog stalk to get some beta on the eastside conditions ahead of our girls trip this weekend. 0 stars, nothing of value. I kid. Looks like you're having fun exploring Ely. We will have to have you show us around sometime!